Monday, September 04, 2006

Shredding Catechism

A couple of days ago I disposed of my Cathechism II notebook from 1988. As a recent convert to Orthodox Christianity, (see www.oca.org) I had loaned my notebook to my Priest, so that he could evaluate the doctrine of baptism that I had been taught, to aid in deciding if I should be baptised yet again. Nearly a year had passed since I took it to him, and it was returned with the sweet fragrance of incense and beeswax that permeates all his books, many of which he had loaned me during my catechesis. I had forgotten all about the notebook, and suddenly, there it was. A millstone had returned, and what should I do with it?I didn't want to continue to store it. I don't need it for reference, or because I need to be able to spread "the truth according to Karl Barden". I didn't want to send it too the landfill, that offends my environmental sensibilities. The binder is still in good shape, it was the contents that needed to be dealt with.So, I got the shredder, put on some nice calming sacred music, and sorted out pages to recyle (the textpart), and pages to shred. I shredded all the personal details that I was compelled to share on paper, and all the red ink encouragements, and all the stickers, and all the S++'s. I wondered what my cat. counselors are doing now. Are they still there, theThompsons and the Waites? My ex and I were counselors as well, where are our "sheep" now? I can't even remember who they were, just that I was working hard to keep up with everything. We had two kids and one on the way, I was working part time and dealing with acomplicated pregnancy, house hunting and getting ready to move. So, I got to grade papers and think of something to say to each and every essay answer, and a few neat comments or cute pictures to make it interesting. After all, my work as a counselor was going to be evaluated, just like I was evaluating all those papers.

I felt the grief and sadness that comes over me when I contemplate how much a part of the LFF machine I was,how willing, how faithful and "solid", how neatly I bought into the party line, and spouted the scriptures and doctrines when our choices were questioned by caring family members. I grieve for the lives of those that I influenced to buy into the system.When we left in 1996, it was as members in good standing. It took years for me to see how wrongthings were.

As I began to understand the inherent abusiveness of LFF, I reflected on a hard lesson thatI had learned from parenting: "You can't give what you don't have." Or, in other words, no matter how balanced and pretty the teaching, if the teachers aren't living it, it is the reality that is passed on,not the doctrine. Our family had followed the example set before us, with disastrous results. (Of course,we might have had disastrous results anyway, IF we had met and married outside of LFF) We had learned that:
Helpmeet = Enabler
Leader = Dictator
Appearances = What matters
Mental or physical illness = Spiritual problem
Children with problems = Parental laziness
Divorce = Ultimate nightmare of shame and loneliness

These ideas had kept us together. Seeing how false these assumptions were, and not knowing how to handle it, helped to complete the demolition of a wobbling marriage.

Enough for now, Cathechism II has been dealt with in it's paper manifestation in my life. The past is past, and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are at work in my life to transform me more and more into the image of Christ. I am in recovery from LFF, it hast aken time, and it will take time. My hope is in the Lord, not in a funny cult in Pullman.
Peace in Christ,Helen-Xenia

PS - Does anyone have any good ideas for disposing ofa size XL JCD support family T-shirt?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Idea for the shirt: mail it back. Send it c/o "LFF Museum"

Anonymous said...

Yes, I still have boxes full of Cat I, Cat I revised, Cat 2, Cat 3, Mirror, etc.....I guess I need to get together with your shredder H!

The problem I have is what parts of the 18 years I lived in Pullman do I hold on to? The relationships I had with people at LFF I still treasure. (I love the friendship I had with Pastor Kevin (not the rebukes), The Fisters, the Baldridges, the Tinemore's. The people we were guides to, Jamie, Ray, and the friends who I still think about daily (Geoff, Rick G, the Grieblings). I spent many hours in Gale's office writting curriculum for the children's classes. I don't discount the work we did. I have used my experience that I gained from running the library and Shiloh in my professional life.

The control, the manipulation, the wrong headedness of so much that went on (especially in the members meetings and behind closed doors). Those are the things I want to shred.

I don't regret the years that Helen and I had together and we are still good friends. I don't regret my wonderful children which are the fruit of a marriage that really did experience love and acceptance. I don't know if Helen and I would ever have gotten together anywhere else. We are completely opposite of eachother. (if you know Meyer-Briggs, she is istj to my enfp!) I was a good sheep and responded to the direction of my oversight to stay in Pullman and chose a good woman from LFF. I was on fire for God and I wanted to do everything in faith. I think it is a credit to our desire to follow God that we were married for almost 20 years! Why is it that so many marriages end in divorce when people leave LFF? Is it because we are cursed? Or instead, is it because we are no longer under the control of LFF? We are free to think for ourselves. We were in secular marriage counseling and they asked us why we were still married. I think we both realized that it was mostly because it was easier to live in the comfort of a situation we knew (but were unhappy with) than the unknown of being divorced. In the end, that was not enough to keep us married. I really believe that we are both much more happy now that we are no longer married to each other, even though we still care deeply about each other.

Also, if you look at the general population, it is not suprising that marriages fall apart. There are many more pressures on a marriage than just trying to be a good Christian.

So, I will treasure the good things that happened during my 18 years in Pullman. The baby will be extracted before I dump the bathwater! I hope you all can remember some good things (some real things) you experienced while you were at LFF. Hold on to those. If you really experienced repentance, don't let any manipulation take that away from you. If you really experienced the power of the Holy Spirit, hold onto that. If you got to know the real God beyond the man-made rules, hold on to that. Whatso ever things are good and true, think on these things!

Blessings on your path!
John B.

Anonymous said...

another idea for the shirt, donate it to custodial crew!!! 8-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, John, I seem to remember you mentioning you attend a New Age church. Can you explain what that is? Maybe you already have - I haven't read everything - and you can refer me to your description. How does a New Age church compare to an emerging/emergent church? Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I was going to the Center For Spiritual Living the last two years. I recently decided to stop going there (it was starting to feel like LFF in a few scary ways).
I used the term "New Age" because I figured most people would know which box to put it in then. They prefer New Thought, or Religious Science. The person who started the movement was Ernest Holmes and as he was translating the sacred texts of various religions he started to see some very strong correlations. So, the church will teach from the Bible one week, the Koran next, the Baghavad Gita the next etc... We have had Rabbis, Bhuddist Monks, Sufis all preach at different times. What I got from my time there is that God is much bigger than the way I had been taught in church. God is Truth and that truth can be revealed in many different ways. It is just not in a church, it is not just in Bible study. God is alive and as a result you find it everywhere. (yes I intentionally didn't say He. There is no appropriate pronoun for God since God is neither male nor female.)

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know. I am now going to a Methodist Church that is very outspoken against the war and is very involved in social issues. They are actually living Christianity. I am also singing in the choir there.

If you have more questions, you can email me at
congueroseattle@hotmail.com

John