Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Thank God for the blog

Thank God for what you are doing. I have several relatives who have been involved with Living Faith Fellowship for decades. Their lives have been twisted, their hearts broken and – worse yet – they have learned how to use deceptive, manipulative techniques to influence those around them for their own gain. Instead of following the way of the Jesus of the Gospels, these relatives have been taught to follow the Bardens. Even those among them who have broken away find themselves emotionally damaged and deeply confused.

Many of my relatives still cling to the desire to please the LFF hierarchy, in spite of all that I (and other caring relatives) have done to persuade these dear family members of the lack of biblical grounding for Karl and Sherri’s “teachings”, the lack of credible academic credentials of the pastoral leadership, the clear violation of psychological boundaries and many other abuses of their “leadership” positions. I have learned a great deal about this cult-like church from former members, and although the common “word on the street” is that things are better under the leadership of Karl and Sherri’s daughter & son-in-law, I cannot see it. The current “pastors” have no more training, expertise, biblical grounding or credibility than the “founding pastors”. Phil and Kari are enmeshed with Karl and Sherri. As far as I can tell, the sick, disgusting and abusive practices begun by the founders have been institutionalized throughout LFF’s “ministries” over time. It is a system and Phil and Kari are deeply entangled within it. The entire enterprise needs to be exposed to the Light.

It is commonly known that before persons who have suffered physical, psychological and/or sexual at the hands of family members can find healing, they first must be willing to tell the “family secret”. That is what you are doing by creating and maintaining this blog. You are allowing the victims of abuse to “tell” the “family secrets”. Please do not shy away from the task until all is exposed. There is much that needs to be discussed about several of the most disturbing aspects of LFF’s history and practice.

If I may – I would like to suggest a few additional topics which may have not been fully explored -- as yet -- on your site. Among the issues that might be beneficial to discuss, I would name: the annual lavishing of gifts upon the Bardens by the various “home groups”; the lack of accountability structures by which members could have/can exercise checks and balances upon the LFF leadership; the destination of the millions of dollars that has flowed through LFF (I’ve seen discussions of the excessive “tithing” required, but not enough about where all the money went – I have heard that the Bardens and their associates have invested a lot of it in real estate); and the exaltation of Sherri as “God’s Woman”.

I applaud your courage. What you are doing is a service to Christ and his Church.

God Bless You for Your Efforts!

An Anonymous Observer

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Truth About Living Faith,



I came across your blog today and was absolutely fascinated. In my last e-mail, I tried to encourage you to keep up the good work. I then started looking over the blog in more depth and I’m concerned that little has been posted in recent months. In fact, nothing has been archived since January. Is everything okay? Have you been threatened by the Bardens/Vances?



After exploring your blog in greater depth I am even more convinced that the surface has only been scratched. Living Faith Fellowship was and is a very, very sick place that has done – and continues to do – much damage. It is a service to the Church and to the general public to expose it.



Please tell me that you are still actively involved in maintaining this much-needed site.



Anonymous

Innocence Destroyed said...

We can't tell if some of these blogs have been comments further down the blog or if they are new, so we may post something that has been already posted as a comment. Be kind. At least we're getting things out there. Also, the dates won't be the actual date the blog was sent.
your editors

Anonymous said...

Dear brother:

How I praise God for this site! I had lost complete track of Living Faith Fellowship after I left Pullman in 1977, and knew at the time that it was a cult. I was grieved to see friends (Phil and Debbie, David Anderson, etc.) who got sucked into it, and don't know that they ever got out? At any rate, it is grievous to read that the same errors continue to this day; but thank the Lord for His truth and light and LIBERTY He has brought to several.

May the Lord bring great healing to you all!

For the nations,
(name deleted by editors. Please specify in emails if you want to remain anonymous or not. thank you, the editors)

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who's mom used to say "Don't drink the Kool Aid" (in reference to the mass suicide by the Jim Jones group. Funny part was that Kool Aid was a staple at LFF - good ole punch crew! I didn't realize until I got in deep that the rhetoric was the same as so many other cults. In fact, after I left I compared the similarities and studied cults. I discovered that LFF had 11 out of 13 of the characteristics of cults that I ran across regularly. Scary!

I do think we have only scratched the surface of what people have gone through here. In another area of the blog I describe at least 10 events that I personally witnessed and that is just the begining of what I know. There are a few topics I am afraid to dig up because the topic is so bad and I fear some people would suffer a lashing back.

For the record, my family tithed as much as 30% for a long time. The tithe teaching I find outrageous considering that Paul never even teaches the unlearned gentiles a percentage. He teaches them to give what is in their hearts. I was informed by some ex pastors of the retirement salary and "bonus" that the pastors asked for and I was mortified. Their materialistic ways almost broke the back of the congregation, of which some gave their entire inheritances or went bankrupt just to keep the boat afloat.

Anonymous said...

"There are a few topics I am afraid to dig up because the topic is so bad and I fear some people would suffer a lashing back."

This is an important point. There are people at LFF who may still be in chains. It's a good thing to avoid doing anything that will hurt them

Anonymous said...

on the other hand, bringing up difficult topics in sincerity and without bitterness may be able to free some of those people who are still in chains at LFF - how can leaving them in chains be a kindness?

Anonymous said...

Jesus please help the those oppressed at LFF find freedom in the LIFE that you offer. Please help those oppressed in any church find freedom.

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful for this blog. There is truth in this blog and it is freeing to hear other's stories, as I've been healing over the last several years from LFF's "cultish" teachings and doings in my life and relationship with God.
Keep up the blog!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you have been healing. I have been healing the past couple of years as well. My time at LFF definitely helped shape a part of who I am and the level of trust I put in others/churches. When I first came to this blog I was just happy to see someone calling LFF out in their ways. Now I am just happy to see stories of people finding healing and forgiveness. I pray and hope that this church has stopped hurting people. I would go there and check it but I don't want to risk putting myself or my family at risk of coming under LFF's potentially negative influence.

Anonymous said...

After many visits, here's my first post!

I left lff in 2003 (yay!). While I have zero confidence in lff and would never step foot in that building, I have to admit I do get curious as to what they are up to these days. I still live in Pullman and it's hard not to wonder.

Any insight? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

why did you leave?