Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Field Guide to Evangelicals

I have just found a book that made me laugh so hard! It is called A FieldGuide to Evangelicals & Their Habitat by Joel Kilpatrick. You can learnwhat Evangalicals believe, how to identify one in the field, How to see themin their natural habitat, how to decorate like an evangelical....The funnything is that you could change the word "Evangelical" and put in "LFFer" andit wouldn't be too far off.Isn't that funny? I remember how we used to feel about those"Evangelicals"! We were so much better than them. We were the ones on firefor God. But if you look at this book, you will see that, sadly, weweren't too much different from them at all. I highly suggest you read thisbook for a good laugh. I can't put it down. They also have a great website www.larknews.comEnjoy, John Brower

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, does anyone remember the decorations in the women's restroom stalls? I was on custodial crew so I had an excuse to be in the ladies room from time to time. Here is a list of "theme stalls" that I wanted to decorate but I never got a chance:

1. Ulceritive Colitis
2. Tribute to the punk band, "Hole"
3. Kama Sutra
4. P. Karl wardrobe faux pas
5. The secret meaning of the Devo song, "Whip It" in the context of large group (aka, why I never became a level 3)
6. Genital warts
7. Excerpts of the book, "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac
8. Know your bongs
9. Adventures in EST
and finally...
10. The dangers of "groupthink"

Innocence Destroyed said...

I don't know why I thought of it the other day, but I remembered something that really makes me giggle to this day. Does anyone remember the BTR skit we did when we were building the first building?

For those of you uninformed, we had a group of guys who called ourselves Bachelors Till the Rapture or BTRs. It was all in fun. We put our heads together and made a skit which still makes me LOL. We looked in the Bible
and found that there are actually many proof scriptures for celebacy, so we decided not to use those because they were too good. So we decided to take a part of one verse and put it together with another verse. Our big proof
text was "He who finds a wife, take him and bind him and cast him into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth." It was a great skit.
I think we even had Phil Vance as the speaker (WAY before he was Pastor Phil.) In the middle of the skit (which we were performing on the unfinished second floor of the new building (now the old building) with the audience sitting where the play ground is) Sam Young and a few Other "Marrieds" snuck around the
building and came up through the stairway (looking like they were coming from hell) holding up their hands yelling "men and brethern, what shall we then do?" This part was totally unreheresed, so I jumped up and started yelling "Hallelujah, converts!"

So, we did have some fun in the "Old Days".

John Brower